Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Spanish Rice

I made this dish as a side to some yummy beef enchiladas (will post that recipe later). I had never made (nor do I know that I have even had) this before. It really was pretty easy to make and had great flavor.

1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 28-ounce can tomatoes, undrained and cut up
3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 4-ounce can diced green chile peppers, undrained
several dashes bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

in a large skillet cook onion, sweet pepper, and garlic in hot oil until tender. add chili powder; cook 1 minute more. stir in undrained tomatoes, rice, chile peppers, hot pepper sauce (if desired), 1 cup water, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. bring to boiling; reduce heat. simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. if desired, sprinkle with the shredded cheese.

makes about 5 cups (6-8 side-dish servings)

recipe from the better homes and gardens new cookbook 12th edition

nutrition facts per serving: 144 calories, 3 grams total fat (0 grams saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 353 milligrams sodium, 27 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams fiber, 4 grams protein

No comments:

Post a Comment